If the Jobcentre Plus decides that you haven't kept to the jobseeking rules, what happens next will depend on what type of rule you've 'broken'.
- If you've not kept to the
main jobseeking conditions you will be sanctioned and
your Jobseeker's Allowance award will end;
- If you've not kept to one of the other
requirements you will either be sanctioned or
your Jobseeker's Allowance will end;
- If the Jobcentre Plus thinks you have 'committed' one of the 'Big
Fails' you will be sanctioned.
- You might get a letter from the Jobcentre Plus imposing a sanction,
- You might get a letter from the Jobcentre Plus ending your award, or...
- You might get two letters from the Jobcentre Plus, one imposing a sanction and the other ending your award.
Assuming that you don’t just want to sit there and accept the situation, what you need to do depends on which of these the Jobcentre Plus has done:
- You might need to appeal the decision imposing the sanction, or...
- You might need to appeal
the decision ending your Jobseeker’s Allowance and
make a new claim for
Jobseeker’s Allowance (or, possibly, Universal Credit), or...
- You might need to appeal the decision imposing the sanction and appeal the decision ending your Jobseeker's Allowance, and make a new claim for Jobseeker's Allowance (or, possibly, Universal Credit).
addition, if you have been sanctioned, but your award hasn't been
ended, you should also consider applying for hardship
(Unfortunately there is no point in applying for hardship payments if your Jobseeker's Allowance award has ended, as you won't get any.)
Choose one of the following options
‘I want to know about appealing’
‘I want to know about reclaiming Jobseeker's Allowance’
‘I want to know about hardship payments’
‘I want advice about taking my appeal to a tribunal’
‘A tribunal has refused my JSA appeal and I want to take the matter further’