Benefits Owl is a member of          Addventures logo
‘I'm about to have my first baby: what am I entitled to?’
> ‘I have a partner and neither of us is working’

icon-warning1.jpgMake sure you claim these benefits in the right order! I’ll talk about this at the end of this page.

It’s unlikely that you come into this situation with no income: you are probably either getting Jobseeker's Allowance as a joint-claim couple, or getting Employment and Support Allowance because either you are not fit for work, or your partner is not fit for work. It may turn out that this can just carry on, although you do need to make sure that you tell the Jobcentre Plus anyway when you have the baby. But in case there is a risk of it stopping it is worth knowing that you may be able to claim Income Support for a short time instead, as well as the extra benefits you can claim.

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit

icon-example1.jpg(When I do tax credit calculations, as here, I normally start with annual figures and then scale them down at the end. It’s important to bear in mind, though, that these annual figures are being used for calculation purposes: it doesn’t follow that a person will actually get that amount in a year - they might claim 5 months into the year, for example.)

First child: Annual entitlement: £545 (family element) + £2780 (child element) = £3,325
Weekly entitlement (approx): £3,325 divided by 365 and multiplied by 7 = £63.77

Two children: Annual entitlement: £545 (family element) + £2,780+£2,780 (child elements) = £6,105
Weekly entitlement (approx): £6,105 divided by 365 and multiplied by 7 = £117.08

icon-warning1.jpg Two things have changed from 6th April 2017:

  • Any new claims for Child Tax Credit made from this date will not include the £545 family element;
  • There will be no extra child elements for any third or further children born after this date , whether the claim started after this date or not, unless the child was born as the result of rape, or what the government calls 'non-consensual conception'. How this will work in practice remains to be seen.

Income Support

icon-warning1.jpgThink carefully before ending an on-going claim for Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance. You won’t get any more money each week if you change to Income Support and if you are on Employment and Support Allowance you may get less.

Sure Start Maternity Grant
Housing Benefit

Council Tax Support
When to claim what…

icon-warning1.jpgThe Tax Credit Office will ask you for your Child Benefit Number, which you won’t have at this stage, but don’t worry about this. Just make sure you tell the Tax Credit Office when you get given a Child Benefit number